Steinert & Hamilton Set To Renew Thanksgiving Day Rivalry
Since 1959, the Steinert Spartans and Hamilton Hornets football teams have met on Thanksgiving Day to compete for local bragging rights. This year will be no different when the 60th annual edition of this Hamilton, NJ tradition kicks off at 10:30am at Steinert High School.
The Hornets have the advantage in this rivalry, having won 34 of the games, but the Spartans have won the last 3 contests, including a 20-19 win last year.
The Hornets come into this year's game with an overall record of 6-3 and a perfect 4-0 record in league play. Meanwhile, the Spartans are 4-5 overall and a disappointing 1-4 in league play.
Here are a few historical stats about the rivalry:
- The longest winning streak in the series happened between 2002-2008 when the Hornets won 7 straight contests.
- The Spartans won the first two games in the series and 3 of the first 4.
- The most points scored in a single game happened in 2008 when the hornets won 41-22.
- The most lopsided game was in 1969. That year, the Hornets beat the Spartans 40-0.
- Only one game in the 59 year history of the rivalry has ended in a tie. That happened in 1989 when the teams tied 6-6.
VOTE FOR THE BEST MARCHING BAND IN MERCER COUNTY HERE.