Two of the largest budget airlines in the country will become one. The parent company of budget airline Frontier Airlines has announced they will purchase Spirit Airlines in a $2.9 billion deal.

In our area, Frontier Airlines currently offers service out of Trenton-Mercer Airport and Philadelphia International. While Spirit Airlines flies in and out of both Atlantic City International Airport in New Jersey and Philadelphia International Airport in Pennsylvania.

The merger means that Frontier will control 51.5% of the airline, and Spirit's investors will hold the remaining 48.5%, CNBC reported.

It's not clear what the name of the combined carrier will be. It's not clear which CEO will lead the combined company.

The new airline will be the fifth largest airline in the country. An exact timeline for the merger was not immediately clear.

What Does This Mean For New Jersey's Airports?

This will have huge effects on the budget airline industry in New Jersey.

Frontier Airlines is the only commercial carrier that flies out of Trenton Mercer Airport. They offer flights to Atlanta, Charlotte, Chicago, Fort Lauderdale, Fort Meyers, Orlando, Raleigh, Tampa, and West Palm Beach.

In Atlantic City, Spirit has been the airport's mainstay for commercial flights. Primarily servicing flights to Florida.

What (if any) effects the changes will have on these two airports remains to be seen, but it's likely that we'll see some changes as the airlines combine resources.

Best Homemade Soup in Mercer County

There's nothing better than a bowl of warm, homemade soup in the winter. Where can you find the best in Mercer County? I did a PST Poll, and here's where PST listeners said.

LOOK: See how much gasoline cost the year you started driving

To find out more about how has the price of gas changed throughout the years, Stacker ran the numbers on the cost of a gallon of gasoline for each of the last 84 years. Using data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics (released in April 2020), we analyzed the average price for a gallon of unleaded regular gasoline from 1976 to 2020 along with the Consumer Price Index (CPI) for unleaded regular gasoline from 1937 to 1976, including the absolute and inflation-adjusted prices for each year.

Read on to explore the cost of gas over time and rediscover just how much a gallon was when you first started driving.

More From 94.5 PST