I just wrote a blog yesterday about what gifts will most likely be returned in NJ this holiday season, so if someone wants to return your gift this season - you can say I didn't give you the heads up.
Just kidding! All jokes aside if you're looking to return a gift this holiday season here are some major retailers return policies according to Dworsky - FYI this list excludes the fine print.
- Amazon.com: Jan. 31 for most items shipped Nov. 1 through Dec. 31. Late returns: 20 percent restocking fee.
- Bed, Bath & Beyond: One-year return window. Store brands have a five-year return period.
- Best Buy: Jan. 12 for most purchases Oct. 28 through Dec. 28. Elite members may get more time.
- Costco: No deadline, but 90 days for: TVs, computers, cameras, smart watches, MP3 players, cellphones, projectors, and major appliances.
- Kohl's: No deadline, but premium electronics bought Nov. 1 through Dec. 25 returnable until Jan. 31.
- Macy's: 180 days for most returns. Some item categories have 0, 3, 14, 30, 45, 60, or 120-day deadlines. Holiday return deadline is Jan. 31 for most items purchased since Nov. 1.
- Marshalls: Jan. 23 for purchases Oct. 14 through Dec. 24. This retailer posts clear in-store signs about their extended holiday return policy every year.
- Sears: Jan. 31 deadline for most 30 day items except major appliances purchased Nov. 1 on; Shop Your Way members get 45 days. Report certain damaged goods within 72 hours or no refund; 15 percent restocking fee on certain categories like furniture, opened electronics, etc.
- Staples: No deadline for office supplies. Jan. 12 for electronics and furniture bought since Nov. 18.
- TJ Maxx: Jan. 23 for purchases Oct. 14 through Dec. 24. This retailer posts clear in-store signs about their extended holiday return policy every year.
- Target: 90 days most items. But 30 days for electronics and entertainment items, 15 days for most Apple items. Days begin Dec. 26 for these items purchased since Nov. 1. Stores brands - one year. May deny refund for opened/damaged/unreceipted items. REDcard holders get 30 extra days.
- Walmart: 90 days most items. For purchases made Oct. 28 onward, 15 days (PCs, cameras, GPS, more), 30 days (a/c, pressure washers) but count days starting Dec. 26.