Here’s How You Can Help the California Camp Fire Evacuees
The Camp Fires in California have caused so many people to be evacuated from their homes. Evacuations and donation centers need your help.
Even though we live across the country, there are still ways we can help the evacuees and shelters.
You may feel you should pack up things from your house and send them to California, but shelters are urging you not to do that. There's a process for cleaning and sorting in those items that can be very time consuming for those volunteers.
What's needed the most:
- Gift cards (Target, Visa, restaurants, gas stations like Shell & Chevron, Dollar Tree, Big Lots, Dollar General, Walmart, Rite-Aid, CVS, Fast Food)
- New duffle bags & luggage
- New Undergarments for men, women, and children
- Unopened Pet food & litter
Here's where you can send donations:
Butte County Fairgrounds:199 E Hazel St, Gridley, CA 95948. Call: 530-846-3626.
Neighborhood Church of Chico: 2801 Notre Dame Blvd, Chico, CA 95928. Call: 530-343-6006
Oroville Hope Center: 1950 Kitrick Ave. A in Oroville, California 95966 Call: 530-742-2727
Yuba-Sutter Fairgrounds evacuation center: 442 Franklin Ave. in Yuba City, California 95991. Call: 530-674-1280.
Yuba-Sutter Habitat for Humanity: 202 D St. in Marysville, California 95901 Call: 530-674-1280
The FTC warns that you should avoid any charity that:
- Refuses to provide detailed information about its identity, mission, costs, and how the donation will be used.
- Won't provide proof that a contribution is tax deductible.
- Uses a name that closely resembles that of a better-known, reputable organization.
Thanks you for a pledge you don’t remember making.
- Uses high-pressure tactics like trying to get you to donate immediately, without giving you time to think about it and do your research.
- Asks for donations in cash or asks you to wire money.
- Offers to send a courier or overnight delivery service to collect the donation immediately.
- Guarantees sweepstakes winnings in exchange for a contribution. By law, you never have to give a donation to be eligible to win a sweepstakes.
Charity Navigator is a great place to start when looking to donate money. Seek out charities that have 4-star ratings.