Spring Begins Thursday – The Earliest In 124 Years
As I write this on the evening of Wednesday, March 18, 2020, everybody is hoping for some good news.
Any good news.
So, here's some good news - winter will be over in a matter of hours, with spring 2020 starting late Thursday night (11:50 P.M. to be exact).
It'll actually be the earliest start to spring in 124 years.
To give you an idea of just how long ago that really was, here are a few things that happened 124 years ago in 1896:
- Utah became the 45th state
- The first X-ray was taken in the U.S.
- The first modern summer Olympics took place in Athens
- The first public film showing in the U.S. took place in New York City
- The city of Miami was incorporated
- The dial telephone was patented (remember those?)
Suffice to say, that it's been a very long time since we got to enjoy a spring this early.
By the way, winter 2019-2020 will go down in the history books as one of the least snowy on record for New Jersey, with the Garden State having averaged less than 6" of snow this past winter.